Section Introduction: Programming
- This section gets you coding!
- The main skill we be reading code
- Experienced coders: focus on objectives
- Novice coders: focus on the patterns
Unity Interface: Creating Scripts
- 3 ways to create new scripts in Unity.
- How to attach a script to a GameObject.
- How to rename scripts in Unity.
- Creating output to the Console.
Variables » Integer, Floating Point
- Variables and why we use them.
- Integers and Floating Point types.
- Doing arithmetic on variables.
- Printing those variables out.
Methods/Functions » Declaration & Use
- Explain the purpose of methods/functions.
- Differentiate methods by their result.
- Using methods to abstract.
- How to declare and call a method.
Unity Interface: Public vs Private
- Differentiate public variable within code.
- A quick overview of a C# script’s structure.
- Introducing public vs private.
- Beware that if unspecified a variable is private.
Variables » Vector3 (Objects and Classes)
- Define variables.
- Understanding classes in C#.
- How classes and objects relate.
- Creating instances of classes.
- Using the Vector3 class.
GameObject » Components
- Accessing components on GameObjects.
- Updating an object’s transform from code.
- Public vs private methods.
Time » DeltaTime
- Explain DeltaTime.
- How to move components with their transform.
- Adjusting for frame time.
- Revision of speed, time and distance.
MonoBehaviour API » Fixed Update
- Evaluate the effectiveness of specific methods.
- The Unity execution order.
- Adding forces to Physics objects.
Conditionals and Instantiation
- How to instantiate from a Prefab in code.
- Conditional execution.
- Boolean variables.
- Performing actions on user input.
Camera API » ScreenPointToRay
- Recognize the purpose of existing code.
- Using the ScreenPointToRay function.
- Introducing the Ray type.
- Visualising 3D debug information.
- Using Debug.DrawRay.
Quaternion » Use of
- Explain Quaternions
- How rotations are represented in Unity.
- Different ways of constructing rotations.
- Converting a vector direction into a rotation.
- Adding a goal to our game.
- I challenge you to improve the gameplay!