█████╗ ██╗ ██╗███████╗███████╗ ██████╗ ███╗ ███╗███████╗ ██╔══██╗██║ ██║██╔════╝██╔════╝██╔═══██╗████╗ ████║██╔════╝ ███████║██║ █╗ ██║█████╗ ███████╗██║ ██║██╔████╔██║█████╗ ██╔══██║██║███╗██║██╔══╝ ╚════██║██║ ██║██║╚██╔╝██║██╔══╝ ██║ ██║╚███╔███╔╝███████╗███████║╚██████╔╝██║ ╚═╝ ██║███████╗ ╚═╝ ╚═╝ ╚══╝╚══╝ ╚══════╝╚══════╝ ╚═════╝ ╚═╝ ╚═╝╚══════╝ ███████╗██╗ ██╗███████╗██╗ ██╗ ██╔════╝██║ ██║██╔════╝██║ ██║ ███████╗███████║█████╗ ██║ ██║ ╚════██║██╔══██║██╔══╝ ██║ ██║ ███████║██║ ██║███████╗███████╗███████╗ ╚══════╝╚═╝ ╚═╝╚══════╝╚══════╝╚══════╝
A curated list of awesome command-line frameworks, toolkits, guides and gizmos. Inspired by awesome-php. This awesome collection is also available on Unix-Shell.ZEEF.com.
- Command-Line Productivity
- For Developers
- System Utilities
- Downloading and Serving
- Multimedia and File Formats
- Shell Package Management
- Shell Script Development
- Awesome Zsh
- Awesome Fish
- Other Awesome Lists
Choose your base shell.
- bash - GNU Project's shell (Bourne Again SHell)
- elvish - Friendly, expressive shell features like anonymous functions and data structures
- fish - Smart and user-friendly command line shell
- osh - Bash compatible, with new/modern Unix shell language called Oil
- shenv - Simple shell version management
- xiki - Makes the shell console more friendly and powerful
- xonsh - Python-ish, BASHwards-looking shell language and command prompt
- zsh - Powerful shell with scripting language
Search, bookmarks, multiplexing, and other tools that make your terminal experience more productive.
- AdvancedNewFile - Fast creation of files and directories in a recursive way. Inspired by the Vim plugin.
- ag - Super fast string search through a directory hierarchy
- aliases - Contextual, dynamic, organized aliases for bash
- aliasme - alias helper to change directory quickly
- autoenv - Directory-based environments
- autojump - A cd command that learns - easily navigate directories from the command line
- bashhub -
☁️Bash history in the cloud. Indexed and searchable.
- bashmarks - Directory bookmarks for the shell
- bd - Quickly go back to a parent directory
- boilr - A blazingly fast CLI tool for creating projects from boilerplate templates.
- boom - Store links and snippets in the commandline
- borg - A terminal based search engine for bash commands
- Buku - Powerful command-line bookmark manager
- byobu - Text-based window manager and terminal multiplexer
- commacd - A faster way to move around in Bash
- CloudClip - Your own clipboard in the cloud, copy and paste text with gist between different systems
- ddgr - DuckDuckGo from the terminal
- desk - A lightweight workspace manager for the shell
- direnv - An environment switcher for the shell, compare with autoenv
- enhancd -
🚀A next-generation cd command with an interactive filter
- fasd - Command-line productivity booster, offers quick access to files and directories
- fd - A simple, fast and user-friendly alternative to find.
- foxy - Plain text bookmarks for firefox and surf browsers.
- fselect - Find files with SQL-like queries.
- fz - Seamless fuzzy tab completion for z
- fzf - A command-line fuzzy finder
- googler - Google Search, Google Site Search, Google News from the terminal
- googlr - Command line tool that lets you search Google from your terminal.
- goto - A shell utility for navigation to aliased directories supporting auto-completion
- has -
hashelps you check presence of various command line tools and their versions on path
- how2 -
how2finds the simplest way to do something in a unix shell. It's like
man, but you can query it in natural language.
- hhighlighter - Colorize words in a command output
- hr -
<hr />for your terminal
- hss - An interactive parallel ssh client featuring autocomplete and asynchronous execution
- hstr - Bash History Suggest Box
- jump - Jump helps you navigate your file system faster by learning your habits.
- k - k is a Zsh script to make directory listings more readable, adding Git status, fileweight colors and rotting dates
- k alias - get kool aliases (and more) working with a simple one-liner
- lazy-cd - Simple bash commands for bookmarked navigation of the file system, complete with bash-completion.
- lf.sh - Quickly search files with fewer typings and do many more (grepping, copying path to clipboard, etc)
- Lmod - Lua-based Environment Modules that enhances Tcl-based modules while being backward compatible (compare to modules)
- loop - Write and control complex loops with as one-liners
- marker - Bookmark your shell commands
- mackup - Keep your application settings in sync (OS X/Linux)
- modules - Classical Tcl-based Environment Modules managing the shell environment (compare to Lmod, direnv, and autoenv)
- nnn - File browser and disk usage analyzer with excellent desktop integration
- parallel - Build and execute shell command lines from standard input in parallel
- pathpicker - Accepts inputs like grep, searches, git etc; allows selecting files from the result of the input, which you can then open or provide as argument to a command.
- pdd - Tiny date, time diff calculator with timers
- percol - Adds flavor of interactive filtering to the traditional pipe concept of UNIX shell
- q - Vim like macro registers for your Bash and Zsh Shell
- qfc - File-completion widget for Bash and Zsh
- rg - ripgrep is a line oriented search tool that combines the usability of The Silver Searcher with the raw speed of GNU grep
- shell-history - Visualize your shell usage with Highcharts
- SHML - Style framework for the terminal (Shell Markup Language)
- slugify - Command that converts filenames and directories to a web friendly format
- sman -
🐛A command-line snippet manager
- spark - ▁▂▃▅▂▇ in your shell
- shark - ▁▂▃▅ Sparkline Generator
- sheet - Text snippets for the command line
- spot - Tiny file search utility
- snips - Commandline tool to manage snippets of code.
- sshfs - A tool for mounting remote file systems over SSH
- sshrc - Bring your .bashrc, .vimrc, etc. with you when you SSH
- sudocabulary - Learn English Vocabulary from your terminal
- surfraw - browse specific site and search the web from your terminal without browser.
- task-manager - Execute all your scripts with just two or three keystrokes.
- thefuck - Fix common shell mistakes by using an easy to remember command
- tldr - A fully-functional bash client for tldr, simplified and community-driven man pages
- tmux - Amazing terminal multiplexer
- undollar - undollar bites the dollar sign off the tip of the command you just pasted into your terminal
- up - Ascend directories by name or count; for bash, zsh, and fish.
- v - z for vim.
- wemux - Multi-User Tmux Made Easy
- xsv - a fast CSV command line toolkit written in Rust
- z - z is the new j, yo
Custom prompts, color themes, etc.
- base16-builder - Base16-Builder
- bash-full-of-colors - Powerful prompt with screen, tmux, git support and many more
- bash-git-prompt - An informative and fancy Bash prompt for Git users
- bash-powerline - Powerline-style Bash prompt in pure Bash script
- bashstrap - A quick way to spruce up OSX terminal
- bullet-train-oh-my-zsh-theme -
🚄An oh-my-zsh shell theme based on the Powerline Vim plugin
- emojify Emoji on the command line
- flatui-terminal-theme - Nicer colors for terminal
- git-prompt - Bash prompt with Git, SVN and HG modules
- gittify - A colorful Bash prompt + customized Git aliases
- Gogh - Color Scheme - Color Scheme for Gnome Terminal
- liquidprompt - A full-featured & carefully designed adaptive prompt for Bash & Zsh
- mysql-colorize - Colorization for mysql comand-line client
- oh-my-git - An opinionated git prompt for bash and zsh
- polyglot - An informative Git prompt that works in bash, zsh, ksh, mksh, pdksh, dash, and busybox sh
- sexy-bash-prompt - Bash prompt with colors, Git statuses, and Git branches
Command-line development, version control, and deployment.
- add-gitignore - Interactive CLI that generates a .gitignore for your project based on your needs.
- bcal - Byte CALculator for storage conversions and calculations
- bocker - Docker implemented in 100 lines of bash
- cloc - Count Lines of Code
- doclt - A command line interface to Digital Ocean
- dokku - Docker powered mini-Heroku. The smallest PaaS implementation you've ever seen.
- fish-getopts - CLI parser for fish
- git-extra-commands - Many Git extra utilities. Churn, cut-branch, improved-merge and many more.
- git-extras - Git utilities -- repo summary, repl, changelog population, author commit percentages and more
- git-open - Type
git opento open the GitHub page or website for a repository in your browser
- git-quick-stats - Git quick statistics is a simple and efficient way to access various statistics in git repository.
- git-semver - Git plugin for easing semantic versioning and changelog validation
- git-sh - A customized Bash environment suitable for Git work
- git-up - Automatically rebase incoming changes instead of merging. Be polite!
- hub - hub helps you win at git.
- licins - Insert commented software licenses into source code.
- mr - Multiple Repository management tool
- overcommit - A fully configurable and extendable Git hook manager
- pre-commit - A framework for managing and maintaining multi-language pre-commit hooks
- rebound - Instantly browse Stack Overflow results in your terminal when you get a compiler error
- repren - Command-line search-and-replace and file-renaming swiss army knife
- slap - Sublime-like terminal-based text editor that runs on Node.js
- shipit - Minimalistic SSH deployment
- starring - Automatically star the npm-packages that you are using on GitHub.
- tag - Instantly jump to your ag matches.
- xtm - Command line tool that helps you manage your Xcode project templates.
OS-related tools, including system administration, system debugging, and file and process management.
- atop - ASCII full-screen performance monitor that is capable of reporting the activity of all processes
- catcli - The command line catalog tool for your offline data
- ccat - ccat is the colorizing cat. It works similar to cat but displays content with syntax highlighting.
- progress - Linux tool to show progress for
dd, and more...
- stronghold - Easily configure MacOS security settings from the terminal.
- glances - Glances an Eye on your system
- goaccess - GoAccess is a real-time web log analyzer and interactive viewer that runs in a terminal in *nix systems.
- hblock - Hosts-file based adblocker
- histstat - History for netstat
- htop - A ncurses based interactive process viewer which aims to be a better
- lnav - An advanced log file viewer for the small-scale
- logdissect - CLI utility and Python API for analyzing log files and other data.
- ls++ - Colorized ls on steroids
- lsp - An improved
ls, with file descriptions in plain language and intelligent file grouping
- mtr - The functionality of the 'traceroute' and 'ping' programs in a single network diagnostic tool.
- ncdu - NCurses Disk Usage
- powertop - Battery/Power usage and device stats monitoring command-line tool, with tune-up options.
- procdog - Lightweight command-line control of long-lived processes like servers
- quick-secure - Quickly secure and harden UNIX/Linux systems
- rng - Copy range of lines from file or stdin to stdout.
- wifi-wand - a Ruby command line application for managing WiFi on MacOS (install by
gem install wifi-wand)
- xiringuito - SSH-based "VPN for poors"
Downloading and Serving
Self-hosted, lightweight servers and networking tools written in shell scripts.
- aria2 - aria2 is a lightweight multi-protocol & multi-source, cross platform download utility operated in command-line. It supports HTTP/HTTPS, FTP, BitTorrent and Metalink
- balls - Bash on Balls
- bashttpd - A web server written in Bash
- bitpocket - "DIY Dropbox" or "2-way directory (r)sync with proper deletion"
- Dropbox-Uploader - Dropbox Uploader is a Bash script which can be used to upload, download, list or delete files from Dropbox
- httpie - HTTPie is a command line HTTP client, a user-friendly cURL replacement
- HTTPLab - The interactive web server, let you inspect HTTP requests and forge responses.
- ngincat - Tiny Bash HTTP server using netcat
- resty - Little command line REST client that you can use in pipelines
- shell2http - HTTP-server to execute shell commands. Designed for development, prototyping or remote control
- youtube-dl - Small command-line program to download videos from YouTube.com and other video sites
Multimedia and File Formats
Tools for handling video and audio files.
- adb-export - Export Android content providers to CSV format
- Android-Kitchen - A text-based kitchen for Android ROM customization. Uses shell scripts and works with Cygwin/OS X/Linux
- Beets - Music library manager and MusicBrainz tagger
- cmus - Cross-platform cli audio player.
- gifgen - Simple high quality GIF encoding
- image-scraper - A cool command line image scraper with a lot of features.
- imgp - Blazing fast batch image resizer and rotator
- jq - Sed for json data. You can use it to slice and filter and map and transform structured data
- korkut - Quick and simple image processing at the command line.
- mpv - Lets you play most audio and video formats (using ASCII characters) in the shell as well as in a GUI.
- nehm - Console tool, which downloads, sets IDv3 tags and adds to your iTunes (if you use it) your SoundCloud likes in convenient way
- PiCAST - PiCAST turns your $35 Raspberry Pi in to a Chromecast like Device
- sejda - Command line manipulation of PDF documents (split, merge, rotate, convert to jpg, extract text, etc)
- xidel - Cli tool to filter, map and create HTML/XML/JSON data with (Turing-complete) XPath and XQuery.
- xmlstarlet - Old but powerful tool for command-line XML formatting, filtering, and manipulation.
Command line-based applications or command line access to existing services.
- ansiweather - Weather in your terminal, with ANSI colors and Unicode symbols
- awless - A powerful, innovative and small surface CLI to manage AWS.
- bashblog - A Bash script that handles blog posting
- carbon-now-cli -
🎨Beautiful images of your code — from right inside your terminal.
- choosealicense-cli - Choose an OSS license from the comfort of your terminal
- cointop - The fastest and most interactive terminal based UI application for tracking cryptocurrencies
- facebook-cli - Facebook command line tool
- fanyi - Translate English to Chinese in terminal
- gcalcli - Google Calendar command line interface
- geeknote - Command line evernote client
- haxor-news - Browse Hacker News like a haxor
- hn-cli - Browse Hacker News from the comfort of your Terminal
- iponmap - Draw point on world map using ip address
- isitup - Check whether a website is up or down
- jrnl - A simple command line journal application that stores your journal in a plain text file
- ledger - Command line accounting
- licen - Generate your license. Yet another lice, but implement with Jinja2 and docopt
- md2png - Convert markdown to PNG image
- moviemon - Everything about your movies within the command line.
- pockyt - Read, Manage, and Automate your Pocket collection.
- pushblast - Get PushBullet notifications when a shell program exits
- pushbullet-bash - Bash interface to the PushBullet API
- ranger - A console file manager with VI key bindings.
- Reddit Terminal Viewer - Browse Reddit from your terminal
- SAWS - A Supercharged AWS CLI
- taskbook - Tasks, boards & notes for the command-line habitat
- taskwarrior - A command-line TODO list manager
- terjira - Command line power tool for Jira
- transfer.sh — Quickly upload and share files from your shell
- vl - URL link checker on text documents
- wego - Weather app for the terminal
- whales - A tool to automatically dockerize your applications
- whereami - Get your geolocation information from the CLI
- wttr.in -
⛅️The right way to check the weather (curl wttr.in)
All work and no play is a cruddy way to spend your day.
- bash2048 - Bash implementation of 2048 game
- minesweeper - Bash implementation of minesweeper
- nudoku - ncurses based sudoku game written in C
- piu-piu - Horizontal scroller game in bash with multiplayer mode!
- sedtris - Tetris in sed
- sed-scripts - Arkanoid and Sokoban written using sed
- SHTAP - Reusable text adventure engine for Bash 4
- tty-solitaire - Play solitaire in your terminal!
Shell Package Management
Tools for managing multiple shell configurations. For zsh-specific tools, see the Zsh section.
- bash-it - A community Bash framework
- basher - A package manager for shell scripts
- bashing - Smashing Bash into Pieces
- dotdrop - Save your dotfiles once, deploy them everywhere
- dotfiler – Shell agnostic git based dotfiles package manager, written in Python.
- fresh - Keep your dotfiles fresh
- homeshick - Git dotfile synchronizer written in Bash
- shallow-backup - Easily create lightweight documentation of installed packages, dotfiles, and more
- shundle - Plugin manager for shell scripts
- vcsh - Config manager based on Git
- yadm - Git-based dotfiles manager supporting encryption, alternates, and bootstrapping
Shell Script Development
Tools for writing, improving, or organizing Bash or other shell scripts
- ansi - ANSI escape codes in pure bash - change text color, position the cursor, much more
- assert.sh - Bash unit testing framework
- bashful - A collection of libraries to simplify writing Bash scripts
- Bashlets - A modular extensible toolbox for Bash
- bashmanager - mini bash framework for creating command line tools
- bashwithnails - a Bash framework written just for fun with testing, dependency management & packaging
- bash-language-server - LSP-based Bash language server
- bats - Bash Automated Testing System
- crash - Proper error handling, exceptions and try/catch for ZSH
- Fishtape - TAP producer and test harness for fish
- composure - Compose, document, version and organize your shell functions
- dispatch - A command line argument parser in 50 lines of portable shell script.
- is.sh - An alternative for builtin test command, it will make your "if" statements pretty
- lumberjack - A logging interface for shell scripts
- mo - Mustache templates in pure bash
- optparse - A BASH wrapper for getopts, for simple command line arguments.
- rerun - A modular shell automation framework to organize your keeper scripts
- revolver - A reusable progress spinner for shell scripts
- phases - Minimally invasive bash preprocessor, select sections of your script to run
- semver_bash - Semantic Versioning in Bash
- sh-semver - Semver tool for bash - finds versions matching to specified rules
- shellcheck - Static analysis tool for shell scripts
- shellfire - A repository of namespaced, composable shell (bash, sh and dash) function libraries
- shpec - A shell testing framework
- shutit - Automation framework based on bash and pexpect
- sub - A delicious way to organize programs
- ts - A shell test script
- urchin - An idiomatic shell testing framework that uses only shell commands
- shunit2 - A unit test framework for Bash scripts with a flavour of JUnit/PyUnit.
- rebash - Scripting library/framework. Features: imports, exceptions, doc-tests ...
- zunit - A powerful unit testing framework for ZSH
- Bash Hackers Wiki
- Greg Wooledge's (aka "greycat") wiki. Specifically Bash Guide, Bash FAQ and Bash Pitfalls
- Google's Shell Style Guide
- The Linux Documentation Project: Bash Programming - Intro/How-to
- The Linux Documentation Project: Advanced Bash Scripting Guide
- WikiBooks: Bash Shell Scripting
- Use the Unofficial Bash Strict Mode (Unless You Looove Debugging)
- The Art of Command Line
- Learn Enough Command Line to Be Dangerous
- A guide to learn bash